Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hangin Tough: Avian Style

Antlers can suck it because the new kids on the block are FEATHERS!!!  Not too 'in your face' and in every magazine spread though - they're not the gay flashy ones like Jordan or Joey of NKOTB - I think they're more like Danny.  Still pretty cool but not so obvious.  (Yet... ) People always thought he was the ugly one but I thought he was the hot one -  the loner, the outcast, the quiet "hipster" one if you will and that's much more my cup of Kool Aid.  But he was still insanely rich, mildly talented and you wouldn't kick him out of your 10 yr old birthday party if he happened to show up just like you wished for when you blew out the candles on that Dairy Queen ice cream cake.  


Maybe I'll soothe my crushed dreams with some retail therapy.  
John Derian tray and feather print from Moodboard
But probably not with the John Derian stuff at Target.  


Lizzy Janssen tank
Better.  Do you think Danny would like this?


xJavierx's flickr
Peacock forever.  (But I like that chair better...)


Graham & Brown's wallpaper
I could always wallpaper something... (spoiler alert: I won't)




Anna Betts print via Design is Mine
Or I could craft some with my stunning watercolor skills like these.  




Golly Bard print
I've painted leaves so it's like the same thing.  But with more polka dots.  Done.  This is what everyone's Christmas present is going to look like.  Except probably not so cute... but it doesn't mean I love you any less just that I'm probably too busy blogging and wasting time on the internet  looking at aging pop stars to really give it 100%.    


JodyvanB at etsy
I probably have a fondness for feathers because I used to go to a lot of drag shows Charlemagne loves to bring me dead and mutilated birds from the neighborhood to show she loves me.  Normal people might like teddy bears and roses but getting bloody feathers is like a big hug from a diva kitty.  Awww....  I know Danny feels the same way and is really gonna love my special care package I'm making him.


decor8
Or I could break out the R890444 Camera of Amazing Awesomeness and take some up close and personal pictures to start my etsy business.  I've got to pay for this kitchen remodel somehow and if feathers are trending up I'm gonna make some serious bank on shit like this.



But my fake xmas watercolors and that tank top are blown out of the water by this art by Kate MccGwire found via My Love For You Is A Stampede of Horses.   







Artist's statement:  
Kate MccGwire's work asks questions about the very nature of beauty. She's intrigued by the possibility of envisaging beauty as something more complex than merely what delights the senses: beauty can be about a problem; it can be something that repels you or makes you question the status quo. The idea that it is a cultural phenomenon, susceptible to argument through the creative process, fascinates her.
Much of Kate's work references Freud's 'Unheimliche' (the uncanny, or, literally, the 'unhomely'); the idea, to quote Freud, of 'a place where the familiar can somehow excite fear'. 


My Love For You... here


here
Maybe it's just me but in my head I can totally hear these things moving around and writhing against each other.  I'M NOT DRUNK!!!!  I could probably talk about what's wrong with that feeling and what's right about the artist's statement for hours but I'm tired and have to get started working on my Christmas presents and restalking Danny.  



 




An excerpt from the catalog describing this series:
Horrifyingly beautiful, the installation suggests a new (or perhaps ancient) and menacing presence eminating from the cast iron oven. Coiling, pluming and creeping through the kitchen, the work feels weighty, meaty. The visitor at once is taken by the gorgeousness of the piece itself - the assemblage of 'common' feathers presented as something completely exotic - and the shame involved in discarding objects of beauty for a perfunctory dinner.
 Hhhmmmm....
My Love... here 
I could probably talk a few more hours about beauty, food and female domesticity which is what this one makes me think of but shame?  Well, I think I'll probably feel more shame when I'm arrested outside of Danny's house in some acid-washed jeans, feather tank top and a walkman trying to recapture my youth and excite some fear with my use of "familiar" (yet bloody) feathers in my NKOTB collage showing Danny and the Madame in love forever and ever and ever...  

And by shame I mean victory. 

I'll gladly stick that feather in my cap.

7 comments:

  1. Hilarious post, but MccGwire's work freaks me out. And I mean seriously "trapped in a box with snakes" kinda freaked out! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It makes me want to pet it... ; ) But as evidenced above I might be a little weird. Thanks for commenting Cynthia and come back to the Sauce anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freaks me out too. It's bed time on this side of the pond and there's no way I'm falling asleep now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think of them as cute little cuddly pigeons or something... sweet dreams! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me for a while, with all those pretty little feathers. I was totally drawn in regarding Charlemagne's worship of you as I have 3 cats and one worships me fully with lizards, rats and so on. But you lost me with those scary snake things. I'm with David - that would put me off my lovely dream sleep. And which one is Danny?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That feather thing coming out of the oven is so cool! I love it! Love it, love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexandra - Danny is the weird-looking dark headed guy in the corner making eyes at me.

    Zrzuce - THANK you. Glad to know I'm not the only one! These people are wussies I'm thinking... I mean I LOVE all of my readers! wussy or not. ; )

    ReplyDelete